UK Mother's Day is nearly here

UK Mother's Day is nearly here
Perfect gift, 12 books by 13 authors all about how great mothers are.

Thursday, 14 April 2016

Mother's Day Magic...with Love Anthology...book by book: Book 8 The Art Of Forgiveness by Tamara Philip

Hello from a very warm and sunny Spain.

At last I can wear my flip flops and shorts. It is nice to get my legs out of trousers for a change.  We have been busy house hunting for the past month, looking for a home by the sea, that we can rent for a year or two. I am happy to say that we have now found a lovely large 6 bed villa and 500mtr from the beach. so you are all invited to come and visit :)  We don't move in until September though!  I expect we shall have a lot of friends and family coming to stay with us over the next year, which will be really nice as we haven't had a base for ages, unless you count our motorhomes as we trundle around different countries. If you get time then check out Oliva, it is a town in Valencia province with three very large beaches. http://www.spainmadesimple.com/costa-blanca/oliva/

I have also been spending some time this week finishing Managing Ed, my new book due out at the end of this month. Talk about pressure!  Anyway, I have not been happy with it at all, but the other day I thought of a way to add a bit of conflict to the story and sat bashing away at the keyboard; literally. My husband, reprimanded me, saying I would damage the keys if I kept hitting them that hard.

It made me realise that when I write a scene in which the character is angry or upset, I actually become angry myself and use my emotions to develop the scene. My heart was pounding and I felt really wound up, so I was actually thumping the keys in anger. I explained this to my hubby, who suggested that maybe I should start to write a sex scene! Very supportive he is :)  But the whole incident made me wonder if other authors take on the emotions of their characters, or is it just my quirk?

And on to the next book in the Mother's Day Magic Anthology. The Art of Forgiveness by Tamara Philip.

As with all anthologies you always find one book that you like above the others. That is not to say you disliked the others, but this book for me stood out. It took me by the hand, no actually it gripped me by my hand and pulled me willingly through the story. I could not put it down.  The narrators  voice stayed in my head for hours afterwards. Not a romance, but more literary fiction about a romance. I adored it.

Tamara Philip has created a haunting tale with this omniscient first person narrative about Selina, who is searching for her past.  I think her name only gets mentioned once in the whole story. The narrator is explaining Selina's moves, step by step, but repeating them as if reminding Selina as to what happened. Even though it is a short story, it is a haunting, page turner, you feel compelled to join her as layer, after layer of her family history is peeled back, until she finds the truth. I really loved this story and the brilliant way is was written. Well Done Tamara Philip. More please!

Thanks for reading, catch you all again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment